Saturday, December 5, 2009

DC to Charlotte

Last night was a pretty rough night. E and I went out to dinner, leaving Dad with four sleeping kids in one hotel room. He was scrathching Eden's back when we left. We got back around 1030, brought the girls back into our room. 1230-knock, knock. Dad in the hallway with Hayes, screaming MaaaaMaaaa. 130am-Hayes has been kissing and hugging Reeder and me for over an hour, so I go back to dad's room to put Hayes back to bed. Moving my Dad to the girls room, bed dancing begins. Then, 430 am, Leo wakes me up by screaming. I take him, a full bottle, to E, moving Dad back into the previous room, but into the bed Eden had an accident in earlier, unbeknownst to him. 630, we all wake up, get packed, and head, all pretty drowsy and cranky, to the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico to meet one of my long lost friends.

So, you can see below that Reeder was NOT happy about doing anything I asked.

And Hayes, wondering if the Marine Corps is in his future...
The museum is absolutely incredible. The outside shape resembles Iwo Jima, the inside one of the coolest, most interactive museums I've ever been to. You could stand in a phone booth type thing, either male or female, and get screamed at as though you were a recruit at Parris Island.

Below Eden is seeing if she can cut it as a Marine-the weight of the pack-btw, she WILL make one impressive Marine.
For those of you out of the loop. When you get to Parris Island, you stand on the "yellow footprints"-which of these recruits do you think will make it through the crucible?
Oh, and BJ. He can do an impressive pull up!
They also have a rifle simulator. So, of course we think it is completely appropriate to take three year olds inside. Dad helping Edepie.
And Reeder not wanting any help at all.
And the boys getting ready to enlist. I absolutely certain Hayes could use a little more structure and discipline.
And here's my long lost Francesca. We were neighbors in 2002, haven't done more than emails, Christmas cards and the occasional phone conversation since. But, don't worry, we picked right up where we left off...7 years ago!
And Eden got a hold of Papa's hat during the drive to Charlotte. Pretty stinkin' cute.
We also took our time to drive through University of Richmond where E got to reminisce about her wild college days. Richmond, I think, has gotten even prettier, and so much bigger since I was there-getting my first beer under the guidance of my sister and her freshman roommate. It was fun to see Elizabeth's old haunts, rooms, and of course, all the places she studied:)

Below is my idea of humor. I hope you enjoy the video from the Marine Corps Museum. Yes, I think I am a good mother:)

Love to all!
-Marianne

1 comment:

  1. Well, no one looks too worn- in fact I think Papa Jerry is looking younger with each lost night of sleep!
    And I think you need to work on the boys- they didn't have their feet in both yellow footprints- but Reeder and Eden did it perfectly.
    Keep up the stories (and videos)- I'm loving- absolutely loving them!
    Grama Max

    ReplyDelete