Friday, December 11, 2009

The Day before Big Mama comes...

Leo would like to take a moment of your busy day to issue an edict. If you are reading this then you need to leave a comment...a comment right now! Leo's Papa Jerry loves reading the comments and it gives all of us something to discuss (we have been together for 2 weeks and are running low on conversation so help us out)!
On this glorious freezing morning (by Florida standards), I (Elizabeth) gave Marianne the best gift a sister can ever give...a morning without children. Since all the kids were up by 7 am, Papa Jerry and I loaded them into their winter gear and the double stroller for a little hot chocolate. The hot chocolate store (as the girls' call it) is located by a fish pond which provided 20 minutes of entertainment - which was very important since we got there before the store opened.


All the stores are decked out in holiday gear and Reeder spent a great deal of time moving the arms of the nutcracker.
After our morning jaunt we headed to the ocean club for lunch...but let's go back to the morning hike. As we wandered around the Amelia shops, Leo took a nice header (you can see the road rash on his forehead and nose). Papa Jerry pointed out that the smart thing to do when falling is to catch yourself with your hands - ergo Leo is not (well I cannot say it because I am his mom but you can infer). On our way to lunch Eden had a little accident which meant that Eden and I took the tram back and left Aunt Wee, Papa Jerry, Reeder, Hayes, and Leo unsupervised. At least Leo had a healthy well balanced lunch...
Then it was time to prepare for the arrival of Big Mama. She comes in the morning...time to clean. Papa Jerry and Hayes tackled the kitchen.
And Reeder found a new toliet brush for cleaning those hard to reach places.
Eden and Reeder put the final finish on the floors. In the background of this pic you can see all our shoes - which Reeder reorganized into matching pairs - definitely not a Simmons trait - that one comes straight from the Hoobler side.
And since I am so electronically handy (hehehe), I rewired the tv system in the hopes of hiding the cables that the little boys love to pull on. Papa Jerry likes that the only toys our sons play with are electronics - remotes, phones, dvd players...
You were probably wondering what Marianne was doing during all this cleaning - since she only got 10 hours of sleep last night she needed to take a nap.
We were almost ready for Big Mama - all we needed to do was buy groceries to make cookies (the girls' idea) and a yummy dinner. Marianne and I spent our Friday night at Harris Teeter - rockin' night!

9 comments:

  1. You girls are great! I'm enjoying this journey with you. And your kids are all so cute! And they even clean the house!! ;-) And let me say this: "Papa Jerry", you are the best!!.
    Hope Marcia had a safe trip and that you have a great weekend. I hope I can see you soon...looking at these pictures made me miss you all.
    Have fun!
    Maria Eugenia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the entertainment!! Much love from the Chandler-Knoops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Papa Jerry is tremendous - I get tired just reading about all the activity. So glad you are making and sharing such wonderful memories. Glad the cousins are getting to know each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess I am very guilty of reading the blog every day and not commenting, so I thought I'd better take Leo's edict to heart and write something. I have to first start off by saying that It is a good thing that there is a laundry in the condo, because I recognize everyone's favoritw GGs. Have you been able to pry the Reagan sweatshirt of of BJ since it was washed her in Charlotte? But I am a big fan of the sweatshirt, so no complaints here. Looks like every day is full of something fun and exciting. Where can I get one of those drinks that Leo has.. Yummy!!!! Tell Big Mamma I said hi and I'll post another comment on the next entry. Wouldn't want to make Leo mad:) love you you all.

    Leila

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come on Papa Jerry. This is titled as your blog, but we have seen any of your prose in this digital manuscript. We need to get some comment from the central figure of this expedition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I have been commenting all along does that mean I should keep my mouth shut???
    And BJ- not one time- not even for a flashing second did I wish I were in the van sharing this adventure. But it is an absolute hoot to read. I'm addicted now- so you guys are going to have to figure out next because I'm going to be sore in need of entertainment during this long, long, long Cincy winter!
    Grama Max
    PS- I think the "organizing the shoes" is definately a "Kappel" trait. I'll never quite get over my "shock" when I opened my son's closet in his apartment- the "college" life- to find that ALL- I mean ALL- of his shirts were organized by color- hanging neatly on hangers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the blog! Makes me want to have more adventures in Cincy. However, I do wish I was with my fam in the warmth of a florida island.

    I hope to see you all after xmas at the 1994 reunion, if Cris decides to go that is :)

    The best to you Always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. last i saw papa jerry he was rockin the snowflake pj pants and oversized sweatshirt! are you ladies forgetting to change his clothes? it's one thing to deny him bathroom breaks on the road but borderline abuse to leave him in that get up for 4 days straight! oxoxo aunt tt

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think its only fair that you all respond to our comments, rather than just talking about them behind our backs! ;) And is Reeder's thrill for organized shoes a Hoobler thing or a Marine thing? It looks like you all are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete