Friday, December 4, 2009

DC Baby!

WE MADE IT!! We had just a little jaunt into the city and were ready to explore DC! After finding a missing screw to one of the strollers-it took about 20 minutes and some stress, we were ready to go. E and I knew we wouldn't be able to continue with just one stroller-I even got pipe cleaners out and was ready to rig the thing when E started screaming with delight from inside with the glorious find! Anyway, first stop, Washington Monument. We got tickets immediately and headed to the top. E has a pretty large claustrophobia problem, so she waited at the bottom. The rest headed indoors...

Which also meant that Dad and I had the four kids. I always wondered why people put children on leashes... I joked to some passers by that I felt like I was herding cats....
Once at the top we found that Papa Jerry's fear of heights was not passed on to his grandchildren. I'm glad those windows were closed today!
Off to the new World War II memorial. The girls were a little bummed that we were only allowed to throw coins in one pool, which caused them to dance a little jig...
Walking the mall...
Take a close look for the girls in the next few pics. I was being inspired by a close friend that happens to be a photographer. Bottom right here, heading to see Lincoln.
Halfway up-look for the little red jacket.
In between the columns. Did you know that steps are the most interesting thing in DC when you are 3 and a half.

Eden cracked me up during photos-she kept doing what I was doing-hence lying on the floor. But, she knew that her Papa Bear has a thing for Lincoln so we made sure it was well documented.

Hugs are a main part of this trip. We all give hugs all the time-even in the middle of the night. Hayes often "hugs" Leo a little too hard-he has teeth marks on his face from a gentle kiss that got a bit rough. We called that thing in the background a toothpick-and it had red eyes on the top that blinked and was a big hit with the kids!

Another highlight-we got to go to the Vietnam Memorial with Papa-it was his first time! He got a patch from his unit (Americal-I believe, but he's sleeping so I'll change this if I'm wrong).
And then the rain came... We were all soaked! About fifteen minutes from the van Papa said, oh, I had an umbrella in my bag the whole time! Thanks, Dad! Below, the white house. We all waved to President Obama. You can tell how much fun sightseeing can be for little kids!
We were walking super fast, trying to get back to the van, but I had to take some pics of the downpour.
Papa falling a bit behind.
Then a night out in Alexandria. Papa took us to Candi's candies-Eden picked the biggest sucker in the store. Reeder, a candy necklace. They are currently both being saved for their next birthdays.

It is also pretty incredible to see how tight these two have become. They are stuck together, and although we have some issues, Reeder and Eden have formed an incredible bond that I hopes lasts a lifetime.
Point proven...
The boys' room at the hotel. Two suites, Dad got the two boys. He has even become a pro at waking up at 5 am, giving Leo a bottle, and keeping them occupied until at least 6. We are so grateful for Papa's love of the early mornings.
The Building Museum in DC. Dad read about it in the New York Times. It was fantastic. The kids got to play in a great indoor play area. Then the girls and I borrowed a tool box full of activities to do throughout the museum. Patterns, tracing, treasure hunt. It was a ton of fun.



Stephen-I asked Eden what was on top of the house-Solar Panels Aunt Wee (in a voice that was offended I didn't know).
Hayes and Leo found a spinny chair-they were cracking up, E and I thought it was absolutely hilarious!
He may not look entirely happy, trust me, Leo was having a hard time taking a breath through the laughter.
Firewoman Reeder and Policewoman Eden. Reed was running around putting out fires-Eden was giving us all tickets.
E and I thought they were supervised enough-there were plenty of other moms in the play area and a door they couldn't open. We decided to get some much needed Z's. Dad was probably outside tracking down our Mom. All of our spouses are ignoring us-we think they are enjoying their silence-RUDE!
Yes, I encouraged this pose.
This is when we were using our tool box. Trying to make a music pattern.
Oh, this is big time! Max's step brother, Steven, is the chief of staff for Illinois Congressman Peter Roskam. We got to get a behind the scenes, rather under the scenes, tour of the Capitol. We got to go through all the tunnels that linked the offices to the Capitol (E and I both thought of you Holly). And, we were lucky enough that the Congressman was in and happy enough to hold all the kids! We were CRAZY in that office!

Tour of the capitol-the kids were looking at a mural on the ceiling of George Washington.
Reeder nicely took this pic of us in front of the Capitol. We left through the regular door to take a walk outside.

Later we went on a driving tour of Georgetown-the kids napped, Papa talked us through how things have changed in the 35+ years since he was there. He also mentioned that for "fun" he would walk down to the capitol and listen in as bills and such were being discussed. Just like what I did at ASU! We did get to see someone presenting from the gallery of the House of Representatives. Thanks a ton Steven!
E got creative to get the kids back to the car-skippin!
That night E and I left all four sleeping kids with Dad-YEAH!-and met Steven and Nadia for some delicious Thai! Neither E nor I could remember the last time we went out without the kiddos. It was fantastic!
Off to head south towards Charlotte! Thanks for reading!
-Marianne

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome time you are having! That is a great photo of Eden at the Lincoln Monument. The museum looks like a ton of fun. I hope the girls remember this trip forever. And what a great picture with a US congressman (even if he is a republican!) And it's funny to see Hayes is still crazy in the capital--is Leo catching on? I hope you all have a safe trip to Charlotte! And ps I love the green polka dot dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great time I have reading of your adventure (though I always have to nap a bit when I'm finished!).
    It's so hard to pick favorite pictures- they are all so alive with energy. But I am rather partial to the "steps" and "fountain" and the "saucers".
    From you adoring fan,
    Grama Max

    ReplyDelete